An award-winning and highly recommended comprehensive reference set on the political, social, and military aspects of the American Civil War.
• Over 1,600 signed A–Z entries, authored by notable scholars and referenced for further reading
• Over 300 contributors, including some of the leading Civil War scholars at work today
• More than 500 illustrations, including contemporary photographs, lithographs, and drawings
• 75 maps created specifically for this encyclopedia
• A chronology, glossary, and exhaustive index
• Over 250 primary source documents